Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day

Over the past few days Michigan has been under severe weather warnings for snow. In the course of just a few hours we had approximately 15" of snow fall upon our little town. This coupled with the wind which was reaching 45mph caused some pretty severe "white outs", drifting and overall sense of wonder at the power of mother nature.

We received the call from the school around 4 o'clock on Sunday afternoon for the following day via the "alert now" system the school has in place. The kids were so excited and frankly I was a bit relieved that they canceled so early! They were the first of all the local schools to call it off for Monday.

I always enjoyed snow days when I was a child and I have some fond memories of the winter of 78-79 when we received so much snow that we snowmobiled from our house in the woods to my grandparents house on a highway so my parents could get to work.

Dad used a snow-blower back then to clear the driveway. He looked like a snowman when he was done he was so covered with snow! That particular winter however, my mother had to walk the top of the snow banks and knock the snow down to him so he could clear it!

We haven't had a snow like that since, until now. It is dangerously close to what I remember from then. My kids aren't nearly as excited about it as I was back then, but then again I was still very young and we didn't have all the channels, video games and technology to keep us from boredom, we had each other (my sister and I), board games, imagination, and for the most part a love of finding adventure in the white world we lived in.

No comments:

Post a Comment